How To Figure Out What's Next

4:35 AM


You finally obtained your college degree, landed a job, secured your first apartment and thought you had the world at your fingertips. A few years go by and you find the "one" so you get engaged; engagement parties are thrown, countless bridal showers are had and an one epic bachelorette party goes down before you take that walk towards the one you vow to love forever. You settle into your newlywed life and once again you have the world at your fingertips.

But what happens next when the whirlwind of excitement finally calms?

As someone who has had a timeline of goals, exceeded those goals and always knew what was coming next their entire life, what do you do when you're at a point in your timeline that you have no goals or plans? Sure people tell you life never happens according to plan, not to have a timeline and to just go with the flow, that's more than fine, that's great but for someone like me who has had their life literally play out exactly like I hoped, I'm currently in a state of the unknown and it's a scary as hell and you start to question everything you have done in your life so far. Did I choose the right career path? Maybe I'll go back to school but what for? I love my life, husband and those all around me but am I really doing enough to fulfill everyday? I'm not ready for children but should they be the next step? To you those may seem like logical and simple questions but to me they are an ugly internal battle I have with myself because I just don't know.

I've compiled a list of reminders (as I like to call them) that help keep me going and help me realize that everything will be okay.





1. You are the one with the answers.
I've recently realized throughout this year that no one is going to give me the answers I so badly want to know, I have to figure this out on mine own.We all know what we want out of life, the big picture. However when you get into that rut you must come to terms that you are the only one that can get yourself out. Life questions do not have to be answered in one day, it's okay to take your time.

2. Re-discover an old hobby.
Remember what life was like when you thought you had it all. What were somethings you enjoyed doing but haven't done in awhile? For me I realized that I never read books anymore. I used to be a serial book worm who always had one in hand. I've made it a point to start reading again and have even made the small goal to get a library card. Something as simple as setting time aside each night before bed to read is the perfect end to my day. 

3. Do something that scares you.
Try something new that gets you out of your comfort zone. Although I'm not entirely new to blogging, I knew I wanted to share my life with others, others being those in my personal life, on my personal social media. When I blogged before only a few people in my personal life knew about it, this time I wanted it to be different. It's something I love doing and I want to share it with everyone I know even though sharing my thoughts in an open forum is something I typically don't do with those I know. In doing so I've made it a point to announce what I'm writing to everyone on my personal media websites by creating a Facebook page dedicated to just my blog. I won't lie nothing freaked me out more than hitting that publish and share button for all to see. 

4. Be grateful for what you already have. 
In today's society it's easy to get caught up in wanting more. Self reflection on the little things and the ones who helped you get where you are today goes a long way. Be grateful for what you have and always remember to say thank you for the little things.

5. Embrace the calm.
Your life was in a constant state of go. Learn to RELAX, I know easier said than done but it never hurts to try something new. If relaxing isn't for you and you're a busy body take this time to learn something new. It's the perfect time to volunteer, try that new fitness class you keep talking about or do something you said you would never do. 

The unknown is a scary place but it doesn't have to be. Staying positive and being confident in yourself is all you need to get that world back. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

I appreciate every single comment so much! It means the world to me & brightens up my day! I will try my very, very hardest to respond back to you! Hope you all have a fabulous day!

Subscribe